Friday, January 4, 2013

Parenting is not for the weak!

Well, this is the day I would have decided it was just too hard to be consistent with what I set out for this month.  For starters, my daughter had trouble falling asleep last night.  This morning I was tempted to let her keep sleeping a bit longer, and forgo her bed making.  But, I also remembered that moms are on duty no matter what kind of night they have had, she might as well learn that now!  My son wanted me to spoon feed him his Bible study answers this morning.  I made him find the answer himself with just a little help.  Then my biggest challenge came when a particular son came down in a horrible mood.  Grouchily declaring his hunger, pushing his Bible away, and breaking his pencil and then to top it all of he hit me after his chair had been taken by his brother!  Prayers were going up!  Thankfully, the Lord put his patience and calm over me.  After this son's discipline, and some more prayers he came back to the table and completed his Bible study (he can't read yet, so I do it with him).  As he got dressed, I prayed out loud for him with the other kids.  I ran up to check the beds, and my heart sank when I saw this same child's bed unmade.  Is is really worth it Lord?  Do I really have to follow through with this petty task?  Why is a made bed important anyway?  These were questions that were going through my head, but I knew I had to follow through.  "Who all made their beds this morning?" " Me", "Me", silence.  "Son, you can take one bite of your muffin then you need to go make it."  I hold my breath..... The Lord had softened him and he willingly went up and made it.  He was a beautiful calm child as he finished getting ready for school.  Thank you Lord!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope this week is going well for you. I believe one of the hardest parts of parenting is being consistent and strong but its all woryh it in yhe end. :-)

Anonymous said...

We, too, need to instill some new habits this year! I have not yet nailed down the details, but I understand the frustration with consistency. Keep on keeping on, Sus! You can do it!

Susie said...

Thank you for your encouragement! I appreciate it. Consistency continues to be my prayer!