Friday, January 4, 2013

Why Work?

I need to remind myself that the goal in teaching my kids how to work is not to have a beautifully clean house or to reduce my workload (although these are great benefits!)  But, as a parent it is my goal to instruct and teach my kids the ways of the Lord.  His Word is clear about the benefits of work and the costly consequences of laziness!  It reminds me that it is holiness, not happiness, that I am aiming for, because that is God's goal for us.  "But just as He who called you is holy, so be holy in all that you do; for it is written:  "Be holy, because I am holy."  I Peter 1:15-16  Yet, a life following God's path  ultimately brings true joy and peace!  So, I need to remind myself of a few Old Testament scriptures about work:

Proverbs 12:11
Those who work their land will have abundant food, but those who chase fantasies have no sense.
Proverbs 12:14
From the fruit of their lips people are filled with good things, and the work of their hands brings them reward.
Proverbs 14:23
All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty.
Proverbs 18:9
One who is slack in his work is brother to one who destroys.
Proverbs 21:25
The craving of a sluggard will be the death of him, because his hands refuse to work
Proverbs 22:29
Saying 6 Do you see someone skilled in their work? They will serve before kings; they will not serve before officials of low rank.
Proverbs 28:19
Those who work their land will have abundant food, but those who chase fantasies will have their fill of poverty.
·  Proverbs 31:13
She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands.
·  Proverbs 31:17
She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks.
Ecclesiastes 3:22
So I saw that there is nothing better for a person than to enjoy their work, because that is their lot. For who can bring them to see what will happen after them?

Wow, if I don't teach my kids how to work - there is much misery ahead for them!  

Lord, by your strength and help, may I instill the work ethic in my children that you desire!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These are great verses.