Sunday, September 28, 2008

Turn on the Light

We have 4 lightbulbs above our bathroom mirror. One light went out, and I tried to make a mental note to get one at the store. Well, if you are like me that type of thing can get forgotten and you just learn to live without it. Then another one burned out, and now it was really pretty dim in the bathroom. I knew I really needed to get those lightbulbs, but then again I thought I could just learn to get by with it a little dim for a few days until I could get to the store. One day I turned on the light and it was so incredibly bright! Brad couldn't stand the darkness anymore and finally replaced them. Wow, I don't know how we lived without them. It was so fun to go in there and have such wonderful bright light. On the other hand, it was also easier to see the dirt and grime hiding in the corners. Oooh, that is not so fun to look at, but I will get to that eventually too :)

So this made me think of our spiritual lives. As we gradually get ourselves out of God's Word, it doesn't seem that bad. I can get by, I still know a lot of what the Bible says, I don't really need to study it every day - my life is just so crazy right now. I'll manage okay. And then you finally do get back into the Word - ooooh God speaks to you in a new way. You read something you never noticed was there. The light of our soul is on again. But not all of it is easy to take. The dirt and the grime also show up in the corners of our heart.

God may not come and clean my bathroom, but He will clean up my heart and soul. Sometimes we don't even know what needs cleaning up until we turn on the light.

Just something for you to think about this week as you continue to read His Word and impress it upon your kids!

Blessings,
Susie

No comments: