Monday, September 8, 2008

Start young

This goes along with the last comment about how early to start "spiritual training". The other morning I came across this passage and it really struck me. Proverbs 4:3-4 "When I was a boy in my father's house, still tender, and an only child of my mother, he taught me and said, "Lay hold of my words with all your heart; keep my commands and you will live." Solomon was a young boy when he was receiving the commands of God by his parents.

"When Solomon was grown up he not only remembered, but took a pleasure in repeating, the good lessons his parents taught him when he was a child. He did not forget them, so deep were the impressions they made upon him. " Commentary on Proverbs 4 by Matthew Henry

Let us follow this example in teaching and impressing God's commands on our children's hearts.
"The branch is easily bent when it is young and tender"

4 comments:

Djambsoft said...

I am very excited about this site! It is great to come along side each other during this time when we have our children in our homes.
One thing that our family has started doing is singing the old hymns. Our churches are really not singing them much and we want our kids to know them. So we are learning a verse at a time after supper and then we also sing a different one when we tuck them into bed. The kids are pretty young 9,7,4,3 & 1 so we are taking our time, but we have heard our 4 & 3 year old sing 'Have Thine Own Way Lord' while playing outside:)
We are also having our 9 & 7 year old girls take time each day to copy the Bible. They start at the beginning and will work through the books. They each are expected to copy a different amount depending on their ability but they really get a chance to get into the Word when they have to copy the words down and think about them. It is a time for them to sit, be quiet and really pay attention. They are really proud at how far they have come already...and it is great handwriting practice.
-Mae

Susie said...

That is so awesome to be teaching the hymns to your young children. I have begun to appreciate the hymns much more as I have learned how much doctrine is taught in them. Praise and Worship songs are great, but the real meat is in the hymns. I love the thought of hearing your kids singing them as they play outside! My oldest is just learning to write, and I look forward to having her being able to write the Word. Thanks so much for sharing!
-Susie

Unknown said...

Wow, I was not even aware I was looking for something like this for my 15,12,6 yr olds. God has truly laid this in my lap. Just today when my son said he didn't have any homework I thought we should be doing something like this together. I love the idea of writing out verses as they memorize them, a great practice for me as well.

Susie said...

I am glad you found this! I pray others will find it and be blessed as we spur one another on in this great calling of spiritually training our children!
-Susie